Contemplate Rio De Janeiro From Sugarloaf Mountain
If you are having a quick get-away vacation in Rio De Janeiro - Brazil, there is a “must-see” destination for you to contemplate the whole city in a bird’s eye view, which is Sugarloaf Mountain.
Located in Rio De Janeiro, Sugarloaf is a high monolith mountain made up of granite and quartz. It lies at the mouth of Guanabara Bay on a peninsula that protrudes into the Atlantic Ocean. That the mountain rises at around 396 meters to the sea level can give you an absolutely amazing spectacular view all over the city.
In Portuguese, this place is called Pão de Açúcar. The name Sugarloaf dates back to the 16th century when sugar cane trade was in its heyday. At this time, blocks of refined sugar were placed in conical molds to be transported to Europe, which gave them the shape like the mountain. Thus, the name Sugarloaf was coined.
Panoramic view of Rio De Janeiro from Sugarloaf Mountain
How to reach?
In order to reach the peak, visitors often choose a two-stage cable car system, which is extremely convenient and time-saving. This system can transport 1,360 passengers per hour. The car is transparent and can carry up to 65 passengers. There are two stages of this journey. The first stage takes you to the top of Urca Hill, which is 215 meters high. From here, you can have an overlook to Guanabara Bay and its islands, the Rio-Niteró Bridge, Corcovado Hill where the statue of Christ the Redeemer watching over the city. At Urca Hill, you can visit the first cable cars from 1912 made by Germans and the second ones made by Italians from 1972.
The second cable stage takes you to the top of Sugarloaf. From here, lots of breathtaking views are waiting for you. With a 360 degree view at 396 meters height, you can absolutely live your life to the full because you will have the chance to immerse yourself in nature while seeing a seaside bustling city, the Santa Cruz fortress, some turquoise mountains and stretching beaches such as Copacabana beaches and beaches of Niterói. On the top of Sugarloaf, there are many restaurants, coffee shops, souvenir stores. Buying some small gifts for your family and friends will not be a bad idea. Especially, there are some benches where you can enjoy your coffee and watch the peacefully gorgeous sunset on Guanabara Bay.
Helicopter landing pad on Sugarloaf
One of the most famous cable car systems in the world
A view of Copacabana beach from Sugarloaf
Christ the Redeemer watching over the city through a view for Sugarloaf
A corner of the bustling Rio De Janeiro at night
Some interesting facts
• Rock climbing: If you are passionate about climbing and you want to challenge yourself, this mountain will be an ideal place for you. Sugarloaf Mountain is considered one of the largest and most popular rock climbing destinations in the world. Conquering this place would be an unforgettable moment for those who are hiking lovers.
• Neighboring Mountains: Beside Sugarloaf, there are some Mountain that worth visiting such as Babylon Mountain and Urca’s Mountain. They are also easily reachable to the public and open to climbers.
• Hollywood movie: The mountain made its features in a famous movie “Moonraker”, which is the eleventh spy film in the James Bond series. In the cable car, a wicked henchman (played by Richard Kiel) tries to kill 007 (played by Roger Moore) and Dr. Holly Goodhead. In the episode “Blame it on Lisa” of the famous cartoon series “The Simpsons”, the kidnappers meet the family for exchanging between two cable cars. The mountain also appears in some scenes of “Rio”.
• Guanabara Bay: As to be called “the bosom of the sea”, Guanabara Bay stretches in front of Sugarloaf Mountain. The Bay consists of more than 130 surrounding beautiful islands, which can be observed directly from the top of the Mountain.
Some tips for visitors
• Don’t forget or lose your ticket because the trams will require it before boarding your lift.
• If you are in a hurry to visit the Mountain, come in early from 9-11 a.m or you will have to queue up in a long line. But the best time recommended is in the afternoon when you can enjoy the sunset on the Bay.
• The second ride is a little bit challenging for those with the faint of heart. If you are having some problems with the heights, be sure that you are really ready for the journey.
Sugarloaf Mountain is an ideal destination for your time in Brazil. The Mountain attracts millions of visitors from all across the world. It will leave you precious moments while in Brazil.